Sunday, January 18, 2009

Making You Care through Characters

I just finished reading Daniel Roth's "Torture Me Elmo" article in Wired 17.02, which begins with how quickly children accepted Elmo Live as being real. I saw one in stores before Christmas and was also enamored. I never had a Teddy Ruxpin, so I can't compare experiences, but I imagine it would be similar to have such an emotive toy.

This made me think of video games today and how some (albeit laughably) try to make (or force) you to have an emotional connection with characters. I have to applaud some efforts made, like with Gears of War 2 ads. Initially, the music and content juxtaposition had me smirking every time (I personally think that was the intent), but then I could gradually see where some gamers would take it as an emotional task to be had. In-game, there are some cut scenes to keep any momentum or inside joke going. Take it however you please.

This is a serious games issue also... how serious can you make or a player take a scenario. The factor I'm addressing here is character involvement and interactivity. If I'm standing by with no way to get involved, I have a passive connection... rubber-necking with interest at the most. If I have some manner of control in the situation, I'm at least going to be more active in that relationship with a greater hope of connection.

No comments: