Monday, September 28, 2009

Blaming the economy and start-ups

I was recently reading this article More Shop Talk at Inc. 500

The author Jay Goltz describes his self-realization moment: "Here is what I am telling myself: The bad economy has made me watch expenses more, reduce payroll and inventory, and think cash flow more than profits. While the economy appears to be getting better, I should not just sit around and wait for the recovery to fix everything. I need to take a closer look at my businesses to determine what we are doing right, what we could be doing better, and what we should not be doing at all. Not all of my problems are due to the recession; the recession just exposed them more. I am in more control than I would like to think, because with that control comes responsibility, and with responsibility comes working harder. No rest for the weary! Most people are suffering from some level of battle fatigue, and it is time to re-energize and get ready for next year."

Although the discussion in the blog is about an established company, two points made in this article resonates with start-up environment and those are:
1. This is the time to invest.
2. This is the time for people who come to work in start-up to understand success = effort X agility to change.

No comments: