Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"When I grow up I want to be middle management?"

Many years ago during Superbowl -- Monster.com launched its first nationwide ads. One of the ads had a young teen in B&W backdrop saying, "When I grow up I want to be a middle management?" There were many others -- such as "When I grow up I want to file all day." Loved them all.

Remember y'all. It is hard to be a middle manager -- because one has to truly manage up, bottom and peer -- in all 360 degrees. It is one of the hardest scenario for any manager. Burn-out can be high and scope of influence spreads as far as the petty bureaucrat's 4X6 wooden desk.

I find myself thinking about it. I found an article about Middle management excellence.

I have no beef with those who want structured existence and want to forget about their work-lives, once they leave the parking lot of their work-place. They can earn a fair living and and do things in remaining hours in the day that's not "like" work. It is a great choice. Additionally every company needs them, so there is risk-free with some guaranteed certitude to always have a job.

However, if one is a little bit ambitious, a little bit wanting to do more at one's job, then one has to make a choice and work towards transcending their current predicament. They must make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Ask oneself, "What should I do to lead, than being led?" "What do I enjoy doing?" "What are my priorities?

There are easy ways to transcend it. I have seen "individual contributors" and "consultants" make this transition and leap beyond the middle management woes quickly.

Others -- they have to start thinking where they want to be be. It is all in one's mind.

Rest -- enjoy your life outside work. That too can be pleasant.

No comments: